Assessment in Emergent Literacy
- 549 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
- Release Date:
Assessment in Emergent Literacy is a practical guide to identifying preschool and early school-aged childrens strengths and needs across multiple domains of emergent and early literacy, to include phonological awareness, print awareness, narrative, vocabulary, and motivation. Specific approaches to assessing and monitoring growth in high priority areas of literacy are provided. This handbook also provides guidance for evaluating childrens learning environments, including supports with the home and classroom.
This user-friendly manual:
- Discusses the importance of supporting childrens learning and development through assessment
- Presents special considerations for assessment, including information regarding assessing children who are English Language Learners, assessing children who have disabilities, and assessing children in unique classroom and home contexts
- Provides practical recommendations for how early literacy professionals might use the information they gain from assessments to make decisions regarding the amount and types of professional development that teachers require or the kinds of activities and practices toward which early literacy professionals should direct additional attention
Written to serve as the ideal resource for early literacy professionals at both pre-professional and post-graduate levels, it is also an essential volume for reading specialists, literacy coaches, special educators, speech-language pathologists, preschool teachers, kindergarten teachers and others involved with planning and conducting assessments in programs serving children who have not yet begun formal reading instruction.
- Assessing Contexts of Learning and Development
- Introduction: Measuring Contexts of Learning and Development and Children's Early Literacy Growth
Khara L. Pence, Ph.D.
- Assessing Classroom Language and Literacy Richness
Alice K. Wiggins, M.Ed., Kelly A. Marshall, M.Ed., and Sarah A. F. Friel, BSC, MSC, CCC-SLP
- Assessing Professionals' Knowledge and Skills
Marcia R. Davidson, Ph.D. and Paula F. Moore, Ed.D.
- Assessing Home Supports for Literacy
Tricia A. Zucker, B.B.A, M.Ed. and Staci L. Grant, M.Ed.
- Assessing Implementation of Literacy Curricula
Sharon Walpole, Ph.D. and Katrin L. Blamey, M.A.
- Assessing the Quality of Storybook Reading
Margaret M. Sutton, M.Ed., Amy E. Sofka, M.Ed., Kathryn E. Bojczyk, Ph.D., and Stephanie M. Curenton, Ph.D.
- Assessing Childrens Growth and Development.
- Assessing Phonological Awareness
C. Melanie Schuele, Ph.D., Lori E. Skibbe, Ph.D., and Prema K.S. Rao, Ph.D.
- Assessing Print Knowledge
Sonia Q. Cabell, M.Ed., Anita S. McGinty, M.A., CCC-SLP, and Laura M. Justice, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
- Assessing Narrative Development
Stephanie M. Curenton, Ph.D. and Tamika D. Lucas, M.Ed., CCC-SLP
- Assessing Vocabulary Development
Khara L. Pence, Ph.D., Kathryn E. Bojczyk, Ph.D., and Rihana S. Williams, Ph.D.
- Assessing Literacy Motivation and Orientation
Erin M. McTigue, Ph.D., Angela R. Beckman, M.S., CCC-SLP, and Joan N. Kaderavek, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
About The Author
Khara L. Pence, PhD is a Research Faculty in the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia.
Alice K. Wiggins
Amy E. Sofka
Angela R. Beckman
Anita S. McGinty
C. Melanie Schuele, PhD
Erin M. McTigue
Kathryn E. Bojczyk
Katrin L. Blamey
Kelly A. Marshall
Lori E. Skibbe
Marcia R. Davidson
Margaret M. Sutton
Paula F. Moore
Prema K.S. Rao
Rihana S. Williams
Sarah A. F. Friel
Staci L. Grant
Stephanie M. Curenton
Tamika D. Lucas
Tricia A. Zucker
345 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 8.5 x 11"
Illustrated (B/W), Spiral Bound, 8.5 x 11"
Illustrated (B/W), Spiral Bound, 8.5 x 11"
400 pages, Color Illustrations (4 Color), Hardcover, 8.5 x 11"
330 pages, Illustrated (B/W), 8.5 x 11"
167 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 8.5 x 11"
784 pages, Color Illustrations (2 Color), Hardcover, 8.5 x 11"
304 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 8.5 x 11"
480 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
360 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
294 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 8.5 x 11"
136 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Spiral Bound, 8.5 x 11"
170 pages, Softcover, 7 x 10"
356 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
452 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"