Workplace Skills and Professional Issues in Speech-Language Pathology
- 392 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
- Release Date:
Designed for SLPs in the workplace, this eminently practical book covers material often lacking in clinical preparation, including a review of the ASHA Code of Ethics and its relationship to various workplace settings; interpersonal skills including teamwork, time and stress management, conflict resolution, and burnout; supervision; personal liability; clinical decision making, legislation affecting service delivery, and client advocacy. Also included is a chapter on business practices.
Ali Tempest, Speech and Language Therapy in Practice (2010):
"I found it is easy to read and particularly liked the insightful section on leadership with strategies for time management and burn-out avoidance."
Lynn Ellwood, Canadian Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (2010):
"... Vinson has developed an in-depth understanding of the broad scope of information needed by professional graduate students and beginning clinicians for the practice context. In this textbook, she brings together widely varied yet important content areas in one convenient resource."
- Section 1: Getting the Job
- Chapter 1: Resume Preparation and Interviewing
- Section 2: Things You Should Know
- Chapter 2: Information to Know
- Chapter 3: Universal Precautions Against Bloodborne Pathogens and Other Potentially Infections Material
- Chapter 4: Case Law
- Chapter 5: Legislation Related to the Profession of Speech-Language Pathology
- Chapter 6: Ethics in Speech-Language Pathology
- Chapter 7: Professional Standards
- Section 3: Work-Place Skills
- Chapter 8: Clinical Decision-Making
- Chapter 9: Goal Setting
- Chapter 10: Counseling Patients and Caregivers Living with a Communication Disorder
- Chapter 11: The Supervisory Process
- Chapter 12: Leadership
- Chapter 13: Time Management
- Chapter 14: Group Dynamics
- Chapter 15: Professionalism and Conflict of Interest
- Chapter 16: Conflict Resolution
- Chapter 17: Stress and Burn-out: How to Recognize It and How to Tackle It
About The Author
Betsy Partin Vinson is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences at the University of Florida.
126 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
358 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
239 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
480 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
360 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Hardcover, 7 x 10"
304 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"
368 pages, Illustrated (B/W), Softcover, 6 x 9"