Plural Publishing is a small and growing company that produces leading academic and professional publications in the fields of speech-language pathology, audiology, special education, voice/singing, and otolaryngology-head and neck surgery. We publish 50+ books a year and employ a dedicated and committed team of professionals who take great pride in our authors and our publications.
Editorial and Marketing Assistant (position posted June 26, 2021)
We are looking for an Editorial and Marketing Assistant (EMA) to join the team and help us continue to deliver the very best in publishing. This is an entry-level, full-time position and reports to the Executive Editor. This is very much a hands-on environment and the candidate must be an organized, can-do person, open to all challenges and tasks, and will do all that is possible to meet deadlines. We work with prestigious academic and professional authors and accordingly expect our team to have solid written and verbal skills.
The EMA is a hybrid role supporting both the Editorial and Marketing teams. The EMA supports Editorial in its functions of acquiring new books, processing manuscripts for submission to the Production team, and performing administrative duties, such as data entry, copying, and filing. The EMA supports Marketing in driving awareness and sales of our publications through the implementation of social media, marketing collateral, and publicity efforts.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Process received manuscripts and artwork.
- Update product data in various systems and schedules. Ensure product data is correct across all databases and spreadsheets.
- Transmit newly signed contracts.
- Coordinate peer reviews of manuscripts and new book proposals.
- Update and disseminate editorial status reports and forecasts.
- Create and deploy online surveys to solicit market feedback on products.
- Create author complimentary copy lists.
- Communicate with authors regarding details of book projects.
- Pull requested product, adoption, and customer data for use in product development.
- Respond to incoming permission and disability alternate format requests.
- Handle copyright applications.
- Assist with product and market research, as needed.
- Train and assign projects to freelancers and interns.
- Other tasks and special projects as needed.
NOTE: This role does NOT involve writing or copy editing.
- Maintain the company’s social media presence with input from the Executive Editor and Marketing Director. Increase the number of followers and engagement across company channels. Create intriguing messaging and graphics. Respond to comments and questions, as needed.
- Prepare “self-promotion” materials for authors, such as business cards, flyers, and social media graphics. Create ad hoc promotional materials for authors, as requested.
- Disseminate press releases to media, share any published book reviews with Plural staff, and have testimonials added to the company website and Amazon.
- Update publication schedule with final sign-off/announcement title information.
- Attend conference exhibits as needed.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required. Preferably in English, Communication, Marketing, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Linguistics, or related.
- Some office experience is preferred.
- Interest in educational and professional book publishing.
- Knowledge of the basic functions of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Vimeo, and YouTube. Knowledge of Canva and Hootsuite, a plus.
- Able to juggle multiple important projects, deadlines, and tasks.
- Detail-oriented and able to produce accurate, high-quality work.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Confident, innovative, highly motivated, and team-oriented.
- Flexible and able to accept cross-functional responsibilities as assigned.
- High proficiency in MS Office Suite and other typical workplace software.
- Comfortable with learning new technologies and systems.
This is a full-time position based in our Kearny Mesa office. The hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This role is not eligible for remote work and only Southern California residents will be considered.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to Valerie Johns, Executive Editor. NO CALLS PLEASE.