Plural Publishing's editorial internship program is designed to introduce college students and/or recent graduates to book publishing through valuable, hands-on editorial experience. It is an exciting opportunity for someone seeking a career in book publishing to learn all aspects of the business. Editorial interns will gain experience by working with our Executive Editor, Assistant Editor, Project Editor, and Editorial Assistants to sign important new books and revisions, and ensure that they are published on time. Training will be provided for all the processes listed and there is no prior publishing experience required. This is an unpaid internship, and Interns will be given a recommendation letter and/or school credit, if applicable.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Process book manuscripts and artwork
- Assist editors in creating contracts
- Analyze content in competitive books
- Prepare editorial resources for authors
- Review ancillary materials
- Other tasks and special projects, as needed.
- Temporary internship with minimum 15-week commitment.
- Able to work 15-20 hours a week. Schedule to be negotiated.
- This internship is based in our San Diego office, which is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Remote work is not available for this internship.
- Unpaid internship. Students will receive signed course credit and/or recommendation/referral letter.
- A strong desire to learn about book publishing.
- A sophomore/junior/senior working toward a BA degree or a recent graduate.
- Preferred majors: English, Journalism, Communication, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Linguistics, or related.
- Able to meet deadlines.
- Self-directed, can work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Basic computer skills and knowledgeable in MS Word and Excel.
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.