Plural Publishing, Inc. is a small and growing company that produces leading academic and professional books in the fields of speech-language pathology, audiology, special education, deaf education, otolaryngology-head and neck surgery, and voice/singing. We employ a dedicated and committed team of professionals who take great pride in our authors and publications.
We are looking for an Editorial Assistant (EA) to join our team and help us continue to deliver the very best in publishing. This is an entry-level, full-time position on the Editorial team, reporting to the Executive Editor. The position is based in our San Diego office, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Remote work is not available for this role. We are looking to hire quickly, thus local candidates are preferred.
The EA role is an exciting opportunity for someone seeking a career in book publishing to learn all aspects of the business. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented, meticulous self-starter who can multitask and meet assigned deadlines. We work with prestigious academic and professional authors and accordingly expect our team to have solid listening, verbal, and written communication skills. The EA plays a pivotal role in providing administrative and project support for the Executive Editor, Assistant Editor, and Project Editor to fulfill the company’s goals of signing new book and revisions, and ensuring they are published on time.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Perform administrative duties, including data entry, printing, copying, filing, maintaining correspondence, and answering phones.
- Process/review book manuscripts and artwork.
- Update and disseminate status reports and schedules.
- Update and ensure product data is correct across all databases and reports.
- Assist editors in creating contracts.
- Transmit newly signed contracts.
- Coordinate peer reviews of draft manuscripts and new book proposals.
- Implement online surveys to solicit market feedback on products.
- Create author complimentary copy lists.
- Prepare product, adoption, and customer data for use in product development research.
- Handle copyright applications.
- Communicate with authors and customers.
- Some travel to conferences, as needed.
- Other tasks and special projects, as required.
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required. Preferably in English, Journalism, Communication, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Linguistics, or related.
- Strong interest in book publishing.
- Previous work experience requiring multitasking and attention to details.
- Strong listening, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and able to produce accurate, high-quality work.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Able to juggle multiple tasks and projects, prioritize workload, and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving in relation to assigned tasks.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Flexible and able to accept cross-functional responsibilities as assigned.
- Uphold high standards of professionalism and courtesy when working with colleagues, authors, and customers.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, and other typical workplace software.
- Comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
Annual Salary: $38,000 to $45,000
The stated salary reflects the range that Plural Publishing, Inc. reasonably expects to pay for this position. The actual salary will be dependent on a variety of factors, including an applicant’s education, experience, unique skills and abilities, marketplace factors, other requirements for the position, and employer business practices.