Introduction to Language Development.
Details: 288 pages, 2-Color, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2019 | Available
A new edition of this text is available.
Introduction to Language Development, Second Edition offers a highly accessible introduction to the complexities of language development. The textbook is designed for use in language acquisition courses in undergraduate and graduate speech-language pathology programs to facilitate both teaching and learning. Complex terminology and theories are explained through definitions and examples to assure that students are able to grasp the content. Within the second edition of this text, students are presented with language factors -- syntax, semantics, phonology, morphology, and pragmatics -- as well as the cognitive abilities that underlie language development. Multilingual and multicultural differences are explored throughout. Other highlights include:
- Within each chapter, case studies, chapter objectives, and study questions are provided to support students' understanding of the main points
- Case studies allow instructors to involve students more fully in classroom discussion, along with developing their critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Chapter objectives allow students to understand the scope and goals of the chapter
- Study questions allow instructors to engage students in discussions of the material and assure students grasp and retain the information
- Tables and figures provide examples and evidence that elaborate and clarify the information presented
- A comprehensive glossary of key words in each chapter helps students locate the definitions of key terms
New to the Second Edition
- A PluralPlus companion website with multiple choice questions that assess students' knowledge of the content in each chapter and PowerPoint lecture slides for instructors to present material from each chapter
- Updated to reflect current research throughout
- Expanded focus on evidence-based practice
- Improved readability through the use of boxes, explanations, and definitions
- A greater number of figures and tables for deeper comprehension
In this video, editor Sandra Levey discusses how this book is specifically designed to enhance students' learning and understanding of this subject.
Chapter 1. An Introduction to Language Acquisition
Chapter 2. An Introduction to the Theories of Language Development
Chapter 3. The Brain and Cognitive, Speech, and Language Development
Denise Cruz and Sandra Levey
Chapter 4. Infant and Toddler Language Development
Chapter 5. Preschool Language Development
Diana Almodovar and Sandra Levey
Chapter 6. Language Development in Middle and Late Childhood and Adolescence
Maria R. Brea-Spahn and Sandra Levey
Chapter 7. The Development of Literacy Skills
Sylvia F. Diehl
Chapter 8. Bilingual Children's Language Development: Assessment and Intervention
Brian A. Goldstein
Chapter 9. Language Development and Hearing
Brian J. Fligor and Sandra Levey
Purchase of Introduction to Language Development, Second Edition comes with access to supplementary student and instructor materials on a PluralPlus companion website.
To access the student materials, you must register on the companion site using the access code printed on the inside front cover of your book.
To access the instructor materials, you must contact Plural Publishing, Inc. to be verified as an instructor and receive your access code.
Tel: 866-758-7251 (toll free) or 858-492-1555
*Note for students: If you have purchased this textbook used or have rented it, your access code will not work if it was already redeemed by the original buyer of the book. Plural Publishing does not offer replacement access codes for used or rented textbooks.
Margo Kinzer Courter
Details: 185 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2011 | Available
Details: 257 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2009 | Available
Language and Literacy Development: English Learners with Communication Disorders, From Theory to Application
Linda I. Rosa-Lugo, Florin Mihai, Joyce W. Nutta
Details: 432 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2020 | Available
John W. Oller, Jr., Stephen D. Oller, Stacy Oller
Details: 624 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2013 | Available
Geraldine P. Wallach, Alaine Ocampo
Details: 358 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2022 | Available
Details: 383 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2022 | Available