Language and Literacy Development: English Learners with Communication Disorders, From Theory to Application
Linda I. Rosa-Lugo, Florin Mihai, Joyce W. Nutta
Details: 400 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2020 | Coming Soon
Release Date: 05/11/2020
Available for purchase starting 04/13/2020
Language and Literacy Development: English Learners with Communication Disorders, From Theory to Application, Second Edition brings you the most useful, up-to-date information on best practices for English learners (ELs) with communication disorders from a variety of backgrounds—how to conduct assessment, intervention, and progress monitoring. The first edition of this text gave a comprehensive overview of the theory and practice of serving ELs with communication disorders, and the second edition is expanded to show the nuts and bolts of how to meet ELs' needs and how professionals can support their success at school.
Continuing the perspective of the first edition, this text emphasizes collaboration between speech-language pathology (SLP) and English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) professionals. To place theory, policies, and best practices in a realistic, relatable context, this text presents engaging, detailed teaching cases that address common issues that SLPs and ESOL specialists encounter. More importantly, it shows how to apply the knowledge and implement the mechanics and practicalities of assessment, intervention, and progress monitoring. The new resources section includes many useful tools and references, such as a case history form for bilingual students, WIDA Can-do Descriptors and Performance Definitions, actual assessment instruments, and a table of intervention types and purposes.
New to the Second Edition:
- Updated EL and EL with communication disorders demographics and legislation
- An innovative assessment/intervention/monitoring (AIM) framework geared toward language proficiency development and academic content expansion of ELs with communication disorders
- Research-based and proficiency-level appropriate pedagogical interventions and recommendations for implementing effective assessments that support English learners with communication disorders in their language and content growth
- Updated information on commonly used assessments used by speech-language pathologists to identify/determine disability
- Authentic examples of case studies of ELs and ELs with communication disorders that encourage readers to apply the innovative assessment/intervention/monitoring (AIM) framework
- A PluralPlus companion website with case studies and other related resources, including PowerPoint slides for instructors
The primary audience for this text is the school-based speech-language pathologist. It is also intended for all professionals who are responsible for teaching language and literacy skills, such as the ESOL professional, general and special educators, bilingual teachers, reading coaches and school administrators. Language and Literacy Development, Second Edition can also be used as a textbook in academic programs.
Yvette D. Hyter, Marlene B. Salas-Provance
Details: 366 pages, B/W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2019 | Available
Froma P. Roth, Colleen K. Worthington
Details: 539 pages, 2-Color, Soft Cover (with lay-flat binding), 8.5" x 11"
© 2018 | Available
Robert (Bob) McKinney
Details: 306 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2019 | Available
Working with Interpreters and Translators: A Guide for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists
Henriette W. Langdon, Terry Irvine Saenz
Details: 267 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2016 | Available
Improving the Vocabulary and Oral Language Skills of Bilingual Latino Preschoolers: An Intervention for Speech-Language Pathologists
Vera Gutierrez-Clellen, Gabriela Simon-Cereijido, M. Adelaida Restrepo
Details: 136 pages, B&W, Spiral Bound + CD, 8.5 x 11"
© 2014 | Available
Candace L. Goldsworthy, Katie R. Lambert
Details: 231 pages, B&W + CD, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2010 | Available
Kenneth G. Shipley, Julie G. McAfee
Details: 713 pages, Full Color, Soft Cover (with lay-flat binding), 8.5" x 11"
© 2021 | Available
John W. Oller, Jr., Stephen D. Oller, Stacy Oller
Details: 624 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2013 | Available