Meeting the Challenges of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer: A Guide for Survivors and Caregivers
Nancy E. Leupold, James Sciubba
Details: 325 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2012 | Available
Purchase Print Book
While the prevalence of head and neck cancers is relatively low, the impact of the disease on sufferers is great—including aesthetics as well as speech, smell, hearing, sight, and swallowing problems. Meeting the Challenges of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer: A Survivor's Guide, now in its second edition, is a popular and useful guide to help those with head and neck cancer and those who care for them. For the second edition, the text has been extensively rewritten, updated, and expanded to include five new chapters.
What began as an idea for bringing practical information to oral and head and neck cancer survivors in a reader-friendly format has now turned into something of an institution, or even a community in its own right, with many survivors, family members, and healthcare professionals offering suggestions and input to the content, resources, and tables. Aside from offering advice on a host of topics—including meeting the challenges of chemo, swallowing issues, surgeries, and more—the authors provide guidance on health insurance and recommend commercial products for issues ranging from oral hygiene to skin care. Also included is a comprehensive list of publications, websites, and other information sources, including support groups, medical associations, and more.
Concise, practical, and packed with information, Meeting the Challenges of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer: A Guide for Survivors and Caregivers, Second Edition is a valuable resource to assist those who need help overcoming the many difficult issues that confront them or their loved ones struggling with oral or head and neck cancer.
"The second edition adds five new chapters with information on human papillomavirus, robotic surgery, and quality-of-life issues, which add important dimensions to the management and care of patients with head and neck cancer. 3 Stars!"
—Kent Lam, MD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Doody's Enterprise (December 2011)
1. Introduction to the Challenges of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer
2. Meeting the Challenges of the Human Papillomavirus and Oropharyngeal Carcinoma
Patrick K. Ha
3. Meeting the Challenges of Treatment Planning and Surgery for Cancer of the Head and Neck
Eugene N. Myers
4. Meeting the Challenges of Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS)
Gregory S. Weinstein and Bert W. OMalley, Jr.
5. Meeting the Challenges of Radiation Therapy
David S. Yoo, Mary Ann Downey Rubio, Gail Funk, Brandey Terruso, Linda Gilliard, and David M. Brizel
6. Meeting the Challenges of Chemotherapy in the Treatment of Oral and Head and Neck Cancer
Su Hsien Lim, Shrujal Baxi, Matthew Fury, and David G. Pfister
7. Meeting the Challenges of Good Oral Care in the Management of Head and Neck Cancer
James J. Sciubba
8. Meeting the Challenges of Targeted Therapy and Skin Care
Mario E. Lacouture
9. Meeting the Challenges of Pain in the Head and Neck Cancer Patient Population: Causes and Effects
Barbara A. Murphy
10. Meeting the Challenges of Quality of Life
11. Meeting the Challenges of Psychological Effects of Head and Neck Cancer
Sandy Cavell and Randall Morton
12. Meeting the Challenges of Communication and Swallowing Disorders After Treatment for Head and Neck Cancer
Bonnie Martin-Harros, Julie Blair, and Kendrea L. Focht
13. Meeting the Challenges of Good Nutrition
14. Meeting the Challenges of Insurance Issues
a. Health Insurance in the United States
Beth Patterson, Pat Jolley, Erin Moaratty, Tammy Neice, Elaine Martinez, and Tanya Walker
b. Medically Necessary Dental Care
Mary Kaye Richter and Malinda Heuring
15. Meeting the Challenges of Clinical Trials
a. Meeting the Challenges of Clinical Trials
Nancy E. Leupold
b. Finding a Clinical Trial to Meet Your Specific Needs
Patty Delaney and Deborah J. Miller
16. Products, Therapies, and Survivor Input: Resources for Coping with the Challenges of Side Effects of Treatment
Nancy E. Leupold
Appendix: Programs of outreach and support, literature, web sites and organizations
Bari Hoffman, Henry Ho, Christine Sapienza, Jeffrey J. Lehman
Details: 304 pages, Full Color, Hardcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2016 | Available
Michael Hinni, David G. Lott
Details: 264 pages, Full Color, Hardcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2015 | Available
Elizabeth C. Ward, Corina J. van As-Brooks
Details: 640 pages, Full Color, eBook
© 2014 | Available