The Vocal Instrument
Details: 235 pages, Full Color, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2008 | Available
Within the body lie all the elements (anatomy, physiology and the connection between the mind and body) which are needed to produce sound. Anatomy is the structure of what we are made of, while physiology is the function, or how we use our anatomy. Every instrument has a frame. The unique thing about the human vocal instrument is that the body skeleton is the frame. The purpose of this book is to help the voice professional understand this instrument and know how to take care of it. The first half of this book answers the following questions: What is my instrument and how is this put together? How do I play it? And How do I take care of it? The second half of the book defines common problems and discusses how to fix these problems based on the specialization of the voice professional.
"...Offers the unique perspective of musician, music educator, and singing voice specialist. The volume presents an accessible and accurate overview of the voice, and frank advice on how to keep it healthy in a variety of situations."
—Debra Greschner, Journal of Singing (2009)
- PART I: The Vocal Instrument
- 1. WHAT IS MY INSTRUMENT AND HOW IS IT PUT TOGETHER?
- Body/Mind/Spirit Connection
- 2. HOW DO I PLAY IT?
- Vocal Technique
- Learning new music
- 3. HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF IT?
- Arts Medicine & Professional Voice Care
- PART II: Common Problems
- 4. PRIVATE STUDIO TEACHERS/STUDENTS
- Giving a lesson
- 5. MUSIC EDUCATORS
- Classroom Teaching
- Choral Conducting
- Instrumental Conducting/Directing
- 6. CHORAL CONDUCTORS/PARTICIPATORS
- 7. PERFORMERS
- Performance Genres: Classical Music
- Performance Genres: Commercial Music
- Performance Genre: Musical Theatre
- Performance Genre: Theatre
Norman Spivey, Mary Saunders Barton
Details: 151 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2018 | Available
Details: 248 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2017 | Available
Melissa Malde, MaryJean Allen, Kurt-Alexander Zeller
Details: 285 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2017 | Available
Details: 264 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2014 | Available