Foundations of Speech and Hearing: Anatomy and Physiology
Jeannette D. Hoit, Gary Weismer, Brad Story
Details: 385 pages, Full Color, Hardcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2022 | Coming Soon
Release Date: 02/26/2021
Available for purchase starting 01/29/2021
This comprehensive textbook for undergraduate-level anatomy and physiology courses in communication sciences and disorders programs is neither oversimplified nor excessively detailed. The book is written with clinical endpoints in mind, and only those topics that are ultimately important to understanding, evaluating, and managing clients with speech, hearing, and swallowing disorders are covered.
Drawing on material from the best-selling Preclinical Speech Science: Anatomy, Physiology, Acoustics, and Perception, Third Edition textbook (Hixon, Weismer, & Hoit, 2020), the authors have provided chapters that cover basic concepts in anatomy and physiology, each of the speech subsystems (respiratory, laryngeal, velopharyngeal-nasal, and pharyngeal oral), the auditory system, swallowing physiology, and neural structures and mechanisms that support speech/language, hearing, and swallowing. The text was carefully crafted to meet the needs of entry-level university students and the figures were designed to feature the key elements of the concepts discussed in the text.
New to the Second Edition
- New author, Brad Story, PhD, who brings fresh ideas and perspectives to the book
- New introductory chapter that covers several basic concepts of anatomy and physiology
- More than 20 videos that demonstrate key concepts in the text, most of which were created specifically for this book
- Clinical Notes sections in chapters 2 through 8 that highlight the relevance of anatomy and physiology to the clinical practices of speech-language pathology and audiology
- Nearly 100 new or updated illustrations
- Extensively revised text to enhance clarity and provide support for beginning students
- Updated material based on recent literature
- Numerous beautiful, full-color illustrations
- Complex information presented clearly and concisely, in an easy-to-understand manner
- Clinical applications to basic anatomy and physiology are woven throughout the book
- Supplementary resources on the PluralPlus companion website, including PowerPoint slides and test questions for instructors and videos, study guides, and homework exercises for students
Thomas J. Hixon, Gary Weismer, Jeannette D. Hoit
Details: 728 pages, Full Color, Hardcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2020 | Available
William Culbertson, Stephanie Cotton Christensen, Dennis C. Tanner
Details: 416 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2013 | Available
Gary Weismer, David K. Brown
Details: 388 pages, Full Color, Softcover, 8.5"x11"
© 2021 | Available
J. Anthony Seikel, David G. Drumright, Daniel J. Hudock
Details: 912 pages, Full Color, Hardcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2021 | Available