Adult Neurogenic Language Disorders: Assessment and Treatment. A Comprehensive Ethnobiological Approach
Joan C. Payne
Details: 392 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2014 | Available
Often, books on neurogenic language disorders view individuals with these disorders as a homogeneous group--ethnically, culturally, and linguistically. Adult Neurogenic Language Disorders: Assessment and Treatment. A Comprehensive Ethnobiological Approach, Second Edition examines how the country's ever-changing demographics require sensitivity and competency in clinicians treating individuals from diverse backgrounds, and also how those demographics relate to health disparities.
As in the previous edition, this second edition addresses the three key disorders that affect adults: language/cognitive disorders associated with dementia, language/cognitive disorders associated with traumatic brain injury, and aphasia and right-hemisphere disorders.
This new edition includes updated and expanded information on the following topics:
- Types, prevalence, and assessment of neurogenic language disorders
- Educating and counseling patients and their families
- New technologies and new therapies available for treatment
- Clinician resources with literature and Internet sources
Another new feature to this edition is the companion website, which provides PowerPoint lectures with illustrations for each chapter, a total of 100 multiple-choice questions, and associated instructor answer keys.
Several pedagogical features are also included in this text:
- Study questions at the end of each chapter
- Illustrations of site(s) of lesions, abnormal cell inclusions, and other neuropathologies in types of dementia, neuropathologies of head trauma, and stroke
- Reference tables that compare the dementias, aphasias, and traumatic brain injuries and characteristics of associated language/cognitive disorders
- Updated glossary of terms and updated references
This much-needed text illustrates the impact of cultural and ethnic diversity in neurogenic language disorders on medical speech-language pathology caseloads.
SECTION I. Contemporary Issues in Neurogenic Communication Disorders
- Chapter 1. Health Disparities: Implications for Neurogenic Language and Cognitive Disorders
- Chapter 2. Delivering Culturally Competent Services to Adults with Neurogenic Disorders
- Joan C. Payne with Wilhelmina Wright-Harp
SECTION II. The Disorders
- Chapter 3. Neurology Basics
- Chapter 4. The Dementias
- Chapter 5. Traumatic Brain Injury
- Joan C. Payne, Wilhelmina Wright-Harp, and Alaina Davis
- Chapter 6. Aphasia and Right Hemisphere Disorders
NOTE TO INSTRUCTORS: Purchase of Adult Neurogenic Language Disorders: Assessment and Treatment. A Comprehensive Ethnobiological Approach, Second Edition comes with complimentary access to supplementary instructor materials on a PluralPlus companion website.
Access to the PluralPlus website expires one year after first-time login. To access the materials, you must login with a passcode.
Instructor passcode: Please contact Plural Publishing at email@example.com in order to receive your code.
Cognitive-Communication Disorders of MCI and Dementia: Definition, Assessment, and Clinical Management
Kathryn Bayles, Kimberly McCullough, Cheryl K. Tomoeda
Details: 265 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2020 | Available
Details: 709 pages, B&W With Color Insert, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2017 | Available
Supporting Family Caregivers of Adults With Communication Disorders: A Resource Guide for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists
Joan C. Payne
Details: 304 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2015 | Available
Neurogenic Communication Disorders and the Life Participation Approach: The Social Imperative in Supporting Individuals and Families
Audrey L. Holland, Roberta J. Elman
Details: 242 pages, Softcover, B&W, 6" x 9"
© 2021 | Available
Cognitive and Communication Interventions: Neuroscience Applications for Speech-Language Pathologists
Martha S. Burns
Details: 318 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2021 | Available
Ellen M. Hickey, Natalie F. Douglas
Details: 285 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2021 | Coming Soon
Release Date: 06/17/2021