Basic Audiometry Learning Manual
Mark DeRuiter, Virginia Ramachandran
Details: 231 pages, 2-Color, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2023 | Available
A Volume in the Core Clinical Concepts in Audiology Series
Basic Audiometry Learning Manual, Third Edition is designed to provide students and beginning clinicians with instruction in the art and science of clinical audiometry techniques. Well-defined learning outcomes, review of concepts, observation exercises, guided practice, and review materials serve as catalysts for active learning of concepts and provide opportunity for utilization of fundamental audiometry methods. The comprehensive content of the Learning Manual encompasses the breadth of audiologic evaluation, including history taking and patient communication, ear canal assessment and management, immittance, pure-tone testing, masking, speech audiometry, otoacoustic emissions, patient counseling, and report writing.
Chapters can be taught in a serial fashion, following the sequence of a typical audiologic evaluation. Alternatively, the order of activities can be tailored to suit a particular instructional curriculum, or as individual topics coalesced with immediate goals.
New to the Third Edition
- A new chapter focused on audiometry as a precursor to hearing treatment
- Updated figures to reflect what learners will experience in modern clinical practice
- Updated terminology to reflect current clinical practice
- Many new online supplemental materials for instructors to engage their learners
- Learning Outcomes provide students with clear goals for knowledge and skill-building and provide a foundation for students to evaluate their progress toward clinical competence outcomes
- Review of Concepts provides a concise examination of the theoretical knowledge necessary for performance of clinical activities
- Observation challenges students to witness the behavior of clinical instructors or practicing professionals in the act of clinical practice
- Guided Practice leads the student through exercises designed to provide firsthand experience with performing clinical activities
- Reflection and Review provides students with opportunities to incorporate newfound understanding gained through Observation and Guided Practice into their theoretical and conceptual knowledge base through answering reflective and review questions
- A PluralPlus companion website with audiograms for interpretation and 18 videos of common procedures (sample video)
Chapter 1. Greeting the Patient
Chapter 2. The Patient Interview
Chapter 3. Otoscopic Examination
Chapter 4. Immittance Instrumentation
Chapter 5. Tympanometry
Chapter 6. Acoustic Reflex Thresholds
Chapter 7. Acoustic Reflex Decay
Chapter 8. Audiometer Instrumentation
Chapter 9. Biologic Check of Audiometer Instrumentation
Chapter 10. Obtaining a Threshold
Chapter 11. Obtaining an Unmasked Air-Conduction Audiogram
Chapter 12. Obtaining an Unmasked Bone-Conduction Audiogram
Chapter 13. Masking
Chapter 14. Speech Thresholds
Chapter 15. Word Recognition Testing
Chapter 16. Masking for Speech Audiometry
Chapter 17. The Stenger Test
Chapter 18. Tuning Fork Tests
Chapter 19. Otoacoustic Emissions
Chapter 20. Assessment of Communication Function
Chapter 21. Interpreting Test Results
Chapter 22. Counseling the Patient
Chapter 23. Reporting Results
Chapter 24. Common Pitfalls in Audiologic Evaluation
References and Bibliography
Purchase of Basic Audiometry Learning Manual, Third Edition comes with access to audiograms for interpretation and 18 videos on a PluralPlus companion website.
To access the materials, you must register the access code* printed on the inside front cover of your book on the companion website.
*Note: If you have purchased this book used or have rented it, your access code will not work if it was already redeemed by the original buyer of the book. Plural Publishing does not offer replacement access codes for used or rented books.
Otoacoustic Emissions: Principles, Procedures, and Protocols
Sumitrajit Dhar, James W. Hall, III
Details: 293 pages, 2-Color, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2018 | Available
Rapid Audiogram Interpretation: A Clinician's Manual
Lane D. Squires, Beth Colombo, Samantha McKinney
Details: 216 pages, B&W, Spiral Bound, 8.5" x 11"
© 2019 | Available
Hearing Aid Dispensing Training Manual
Details: 220 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2019 | Available
Professional Communication in Audiology
Virginia Ramachandran, Brad A. Stach
Details: 160 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2013 | Available
Steven Kramer, David K. Brown
Details: 437 pages, B&W, Spiral Bound, 8.5" x 11"
© 2023 | Available