Here's How to Treat Dementia
Jennifer L. Loehr, Megan L. Malone
Details: 200 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
Covering assessment to plan of care and discharge, Here's How to Treat Dementia is the only comprehensive field manual speech-language pathologists need while working with individuals with dementia. With this timely resource, therapists can readily access the information needed to assess, treat, and document care. Far from a cookbook approach to dementia care, this manual offers valuable information on staging of dementia, goal setting (including documentation), and treatment trends. The authors provide functional tips and intervention strategies that encourage clinicians to utilize critical thinking to formulate personalized care plans specific to a patient's strengths and weaknesses. This user-friendly manual also includes reproducible forms and handouts for patient/family education, documentation, and data collection.
Part I: Understanding Dementia
- Chapter 1. How Memory Works
- Memory Systems
- Declarative Memory
- Nondeclarative Memory
- Applying Knowledge of Memory Systems to Treatment
- Chapter 2. What Causes Dementia
- How Is Dementia Diagnosed?
- Common Diagnoses
- What Is Not Dementia?
- Chapter 3. Demographics of Dementia
- Why Do We Need to Understand the Demographics of Dementia?
- What Does the Face of Dementia Look Like?
- What About the Caregivers?
- Chapter 4. Common Symptoms of Dementia
- Most Common Symptoms
- Symptoms Related to Specific Diagnosis
- Chapter 5. Physical Considerations: Look Beyond the Diagnosis
- Gum/Dental Disease
- Gait Dysfunction
- Heart Disease
- Sleep Disturbance
Part II: Effective Therapeutic Interventions
- Chapter 6. Dementia Staging
- Early Stage
- Middle Stage
- Late Stage
- Staging Tools
- Chapter 7. Evaluation Tools and Techniques
- Evaluation Considerations
- Chart Review and Case History
- Selected Formal Tests for Evaluating Dementia
- Functional Evaluation
- Chapter 8. Goal Setting and Writing 101
- Goal Writing Step One: Prioritize!
- Anatomy of a Goal
- Additional Elements of a Strong Goal
- Additional Elements of a Strong Goal
- Short-Term and Long-Term Goals
- Goal Examples
- Case Study
- Chapter 9. Treatment Trends
- The Spaced Retrieval Technique
- Montessori-Based Dementia Programming
- Validation Therapy
- Reminiscence Therapy
- Use of Visual/Graphic Cues and Memory Books
- Compensatory Strategies and Communication/Controversial Approaches
- Choosing Treatment Strategies
Part III: Additional Considerations in Treatment of Dementia
- Chapter 10. Counseling, Teaching, and Supporting
- Understanding Grief
- The Approach
- Take Care of Yourself
- Chapter 11. Documentation: Connecting the Dots
- Why Do We Have to Document?
- The Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How of Dementia Documentation
- A Quick Word About Denials
- Show Me the Data!
- Get Out of Your Rut
- Chapter 12. Behavioral Issues
- Common Behavioral Symptoms Associated with Dementia
- Understanding Behavioral Symptoms
- Analyzing Behavioral Symptoms
- Developing Treatment Solutions for Behavioral Challenges
- Chapter 13. Drugs and Supplements
- Pharmacological Intervention
- Non-Pharmacological Intervention
- Be Cautiously Supportive
- Clinical Trials
- Chapter 14. The Holistic Approach
- Dementia Care Team Members
- Collaboration and Co-Treatment
- Collaborative Treatment Guide
- Chapter 15. Special Considerations for the Home Health Therapist
- What Is Home Health Care?
- The OASIS and Reassessment Requirements
- Plan of Care and Goal Considerations
- Challenges of Home Care Environment
- Noncompliance and Family Considerations
Thomas Murry, Ph.D., Series Editor
The Here’s How Series unites an eminent group of seasoned therapists, each divulging their clinical techniques through a series of books that offer direct clinical experiences, therapy vignettes, and evidence of success. Clinicians will find the scripted clinical sessions in each book applicable to a wide variety of patients. Each book in the series is authored by an experienced professional who brings practical and evidence-based techniques to the reader. Books in the Here’s How Series supplement the classroom knowledge necessary to become outstanding clinicians.
Cognitive-Communication Disorders of MCI and Dementia: Definition, Assessment, and Clinical Management
Kathryn Bayles, Kimberly McCullough, Cheryl K. Tomoeda
Details: 265 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
Release Date: 12/11/2018
Margaret Lehman Blake
Details: 301 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
Release Date: 08/22/2017
Carrie B. Cole
Details: 194 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
Release Date: 09/30/2015
Details: 400 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
Release Date: 09/30/2014
Primary Progressive Aphasia and Other Frontotemporal Dementias: Diagnosis and Treatment of Associated Communication Disorders
Rene L. Utianski
Details: 200 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
Release Date: 10/31/2019