Sharing Books and Stories to Promote Language and Literacy
Anne van Kleeck
Details: 356 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2006 | Available
The role of parent-child and teacher-child shared story telling and storybook reading is a key vehicle for supporting children's development of emergent literacy and early language skills. This highly usable and practical book brings the advantages of sharing books and stories to educational and clinical settings, effectively demonstrating how it may be used to support:
- print knowledge
- phonological awareness
- inferential language abilities
- grammatical and narrative skills
With contributions from notable scholars who actively conduct research in the areas of education, developmental psychology, speech language pathology, reading, and early literacy, this unique resource synthesizes and applies current theory and research on uses of sharing books and stories in educational and intervention contexts.
"...Practical and highly usable.... I recommend van Kleeck's own explicit strategy for developing inferencing...."
—Jane Oates, SLT, Bulletin, Journal of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (2008)
- Foreword by Laura M. Justice
- About the Editor
- A Matter of Emphasis: Different Ways to Share Books and Stories to Foster Different Language and Literacy Skills, Anne van Kleeck
- Section I: Fostering Skills Related to Decoding Print
- Fostering Phonological Awareness Using Shared Book Reading and an Embedded Explicit Approach, Lisa Hammett Price and Kendall Young Ruscher
- Fostering Print Awareness Through Interactive Shared Reading, Anita McGinty, Amy Sofka, Margaret Sutton, and Laura Justice
- Fostering Letter Knowledge in Prereaders During Book Sharing: New Perspectives and Cultural Issues, Anne van Kleeck
- Section II: Fostering Language Skills and Promoting Text Comprehension
- Optimizing the Effects of Shared Reading on Early Language Skills, Colleen E. Huebner
- Cultural Issues in Promoting Interactive Book Sharing in the Families of Preschoolers, Anne van Kleeck
- Bringing Words to Life: Optimizing Book Reading Experiences to Develop Vocabulary in Young Children, Annemarie H. Hindman and Barbara A. Wasik
- Fostering Inferential Language During Book Sharing with Prereaders: A Foundation for Later Text Comprehension Strategies, Anne van Kleeck
- Fostering Narrative and Grammatical Skills with "Syntax Stories, Lizbeth H. Finestack, Marc E. Fey, Shari Baron Sokol, Sophie Ambrose, and Lori A. Swanson
Barbara Culatta, Kendra M. Hall-Kenyon, Sharon Black
Details: 488 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2013 | Available
Candace L. Goldsworthy, Katie R. Lambert
Details: 231 pages, B&W + CD, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2010 | Available
Sonia Q. Cabell, Laura M. Justice, Joan Kaderavek, Khara L. Pence, Allison Breit-Smith
Details: 165 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2009 | Available
Laura M. Justice
Details: 452 pages, B&W, Softcover, 6" x 9"
© 2006 | Available
Geraldine P. Wallach, Alaine Ocampo
Details: 227 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2022 | Coming Soon
Release Date: 11/16/2020