The Late Eight
Ken M. Bleile
Details: 467 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2018 | Available
The Late Eight, Third Edition provides clinical resources to help clinicians, students, and academics evaluate and treat late-acquired sounds. The text is an ideal resource for anyone working with individuals whose speech contains errors affecting [θ], [ð], [s], [z], [l], [r], [ʃ], or [tʃ]. Additionally, vocalic [r] is included because it often serves as a step to reaching consonantal [r].
The third edition keeps (and slightly modifies) the clinical resources while expanding the toolkit to include new essential clinical concepts, including evidence-based practice, Spanish-influenced English, the curriculum, and a new treatment model. In addition, the third edition replaces the CD of previous editions with an expanded and flexible interactive companion website.
New to the Third Edition
- 4 new chapters: Chapter 1: A Late 8 Update, Chapter 2: Using Evidence to Guide Clinical Practice, Chapter 3: The Late 8 en español, Chapter 4: Speech Sound Disorders, Literacy, and Curriculum
- Contributing authors provide their expertise
- A PluralPlus companion website
The PluralPlus companion website contains over 20 podcasts on current topics and demonstrations of clinical techniques. It also contains reproducible "cheat sheets," exercises, and word lists for clinical use, plus:
- 24 different demonstrations of place, manner, and voicing;
- more than 70 phonetic placement and shaping techniques;
- 35 language awareness and speech activities;
- more than 4,000 words divided by phonetic and word environments; and
- more than 2,200 minimal pairs.
As in previous editions, resources for each late-acquired sound include:
- technical and nontechnical definitions;
- age of acquisition;
- common errors;
- key phonetic environments;
- useful metaphors;
- touch cues;
- initial screening tests;
- stimulability tests;
- demonstrations of place, manner, and voicing;
- phonetic placement and shaping techniques;
- speech exercises: language awareness and speech activities;
- lists of words divided by phonetic and word environments; and
- minimal pairs.
Part I. New Essentials
Chapter 1. A Late 8 Update
Ken M. Bleile
Chapter 2. Using Evidence to Guide Clinical Practice: Considerations for the Late Eight
Lauren K. Nelson
Chapter 3. The Late Eight en español
Lindsey R. Leacox
Chapter 4. Speech Sound Disorders, Literacy, and Curriculum
Jennifer Walz Garrett
Chapter 5. Motor Learning Guided Therapy
Part II. Clinical Resources
Chapter 6. Overview
Chapter 7. [θ]
Chapter 8. [ð]
Chapter 9. [s]
Chapter 10. [z]
Chapter 11. [l]
Chapter 12. Vocalic [r]
Chapter 13. Consonantal [r]
Chapter 14. [ʃ]
Chapter 15. [tʃ]
Chapter 16. Evaluation and Treatment: An Illustration
Appendix A. Language Activities
Appendix B. Quick Guide to Resources
Purchasers of this book receive complimentary access to supplementary materials hosted on a PluralPlus companion website.
The PluralPlus companion website contains over 20 podcasts on current topics and demonstrations of clinical techniques. It also contains reproducible "cheat sheets," exercises, and word lists for clinical use.
To access the materials, log in to the website using the URL and Access Code located inside the front cover of your copy of The Late Eight, Third Edition.
Françoise Brosseau-Lapré, Susan Rvachew
Details: 295 pages, 2-Color, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2020 | Available
Jacqueline Bauman-Waengler, Diane Garcia
Details: 316 pages, B&W, Softcover, 8.5" x 11"
© 2019 | Available
Peter Flipsen Jr.
Details: 250 pages, B&W, Softcover, 7" x 10"
© 2022 | Coming Soon
Release Date: 08/16/2021